Mulch is applied on the surface of the soil to make it more suitable for growing plants by retaining the moisture in the ground. There are basically two types of mulch available organic mulch like pine straw, hardwood chips, dried crushed leaves and inorganic mulch like pebbles, rubber mats, crushed rock etc.
Benefits of Mulch
- Mulch is very beneficial for the soil, and it has the ability to retain moisture in the soil.
- If your soil is not fertile, then organic mulch can help in improving soil health
- It also helps in controlling the weed.
- Mulch also helps in protection against erosion of soil.
- Mulch like pine wood chips, cedar chips act as a repellent against fleas, gnats and ticks.